6.05.2016

We Were Promised Jetpacks Show Review: Bowery Ballroom,5/31/2016


This is G-Man, new host of The Campus Buzz on WSOU! We Were Promised Jetpacks with Glint played at The Bowery Ballroom in New York on Tuesday, May 31, 2016. We Were Promised Jetpacks have been one of my favorite bands since I first heard them on Campus Buzz and I was finally able to see them live.

I had never been to The Bowery Ballroom before, and I wasn’t sure what to expect. We arrived at the venue when Glint began playing, and their songs could be heard from downstairs. At the main stage, the room and the balconies gave the whole place a really awesome vibe. Once Glint had finished up a great set, the venue started to fill.

We Were Promised Jetpacks came to the stage and started off with one of their most popular songs, “It’s Thunder and It’s Lightning.” The audience quickly started to cheer and roar, jumping and singing along. A few songs later they played “Ships With Holes Will Sink” and the crowd went into a frenzy.

It was getting close to when I had to leave to catch the train back to South Orange, and the band had already been playing for an hour. I had just enough time for one more song, and the band had yet to play my favorite track, “Quiet Little Voices.” As fate would have it, that’s exactly what they played next.

“Quiet Little Voices” is arguably We Were Promised Jetpacks’ most popular song, and the place went bananas when it came on. I partially lost my voice during this song from screaming all of the lyrics in excitement. After the song had finished, we unfortunately had to leave, but the band went on for at least one more song.


This might have been one of the best shows I have ever attended, but I’ll admit I may be biased since they are one of my favorite bands. It was a great atmosphere at a wonderful venue, complete with very loyal fans who were engaged the entire performance. I would highly recommend seeing them, and I know I plan on seeing them the next time they’re in town. 

No comments: